By Leon N Cooper,Dmitri Feldman
Named a most sensible 5 publication of 2011 through Physics Today, USA.
The BCS thought of superconductivity constructed in 1957 through Bardeen, Cooper and Schrieffer has been remarkably profitable in explaining the houses of superconductors. furthermore, suggestions from BCS were integrated into varied fields of physics, from nuclear physics and dense quark subject to the present regular version. useful purposes contain SQUIDs, magnetic resonance imaging, superconducting electronics and the transmission of electrical energy. This important publication is a compilation of either a ancient account and a dialogue of the present nation of conception and experiment.
With contributions from many well known scientists, it goals to introduce scholars and researchers to the origins, the effect and the present nation of the BCS theory.
- Historical Perspectives:
- Remembrance of Superconductivity previous (L N Cooper)
- The street to BCS (J R Schrieffer)
- Development of innovations in Superconductivity (J Bardeen)
- Failed Theories of Superconductivity (J Schmalian)
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and the BCS thought (C P Slichter)
- Superconductivity: From Electron interplay to Nuclear Supefluidity (D Pines)
- Developing BCS rules within the Former Soviet Union (L P Gor'kov)
- BCS: The clinical “Love of My lifestyles” (P W Anderson)
- Fluctuations, Tunneling and Disorder:
- SQUIDs: Then and Now (J Clarke)
- Resistance in Superconductors (B I Halperin et al.)
- Cooper Pair Breaking (P Fulde)
- Superconductor-Insulator Transitions (A M Goldman)
- Novel levels of Vortices in Superconductors (P Le Doussal)
- Breaking Translational Invariance by way of inhabitants Imbalance: The Fulde–Ferrell–Larkin–Ovchinnikov States (G Zwicknagl & J Wosnitza)
- New Superconductors:
- Predicting and Explaining Tc and different houses of BCS Superconductors (M L Cohen)
- The Evolution of HTS: Tc-Experiment views (C W Chu)
- The Evolution of High-Temperature Superconductivity: conception standpoint (E Abrahams)
- BCS past Superconductivity:
- The Superfluid levels of Liquid 3He: BCS conception (A J Leggett)
- Superfluidity in a fuel of Strongly Interacting Fermions (W Ketterle et al.)
- BCS from Nuclei and Neutron Stars to Quark topic and chilly Atoms (G Baym)
- Energy hole, Mass hole, and Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking (Y Nambu)
- BCS as origin and suggestion: The Transmutation of Symmetry (F Wilczek)
- From BCS to the LHC (S Weinberg)
Readership: scholars, researchers and teachers drawn to BCS concept and its origin.
Read Online or Download BCS: 50 Years PDF
Similar science experiments & measurement books
This 9th quantity of the Artefacts sequence explores how artists have answered to advancements in technology and know-how, previous and current. instead of restricting the dialogue to artwork on my own, editors Anne Collins Goodyear and Margaret Weitekamp additionally requested individuals to think about aesthetics: the scholarly attention of sensory responses to cultural gadgets.
The Ore Minerals below the Microscope: An Optical advisor, moment variation, is a truly particular colour atlas for ore/opaque minerals (ore microscopy), with a first-rate emphasis on identify and synonyms, brief descriptions, mineral teams, chemical compositions, info on significant formation environments, optical information, mirrored image color/shade comparability with 4 common/standard minerals of the same colour or gray color, and as much as 5 high quality pictures for every mineral with scale.
This assortment deals a brand new realizing of the epistemology of size. The interdisciplinary quantity explores how measurements are produced, for instance, in astronomy and seismology, in reviews of human sexuality and ecology, in mind imaging and intelligence checking out. It considers images as a dimension know-how and Henry David Thoreau's poetic measures as last the distance among brain and international.
Hemodynamic computations signify a state of the art method for patient-specific evaluation of cardiovascular pathologies. The publication provides the advance of reduced-order multiscale hemodynamic versions for coronary artery disorder, aortic coarctation and full physique movement, that are utilized in regimen medical settings for customized prognosis.
Additional resources for BCS: 50 Years
BCS: 50 Years by Leon N Cooper,Dmitri Feldman